Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Anime


The Japanese will make an anime about anything. Case in point Yakitate!! Japan (fresh baked Japan) which is about making bread. Yes 69 episodes of bread baking battles. By the way, this is actually a fairly funny anime even with the ridiculous subject matter. But I digress, as the Japanese mesh together new ideas to make original anime they some times hit on a really odd but neat concept that is not embarrassing to tell your friends that you spent 2 hours watching it. Which leads me to my next selection.

A friend of mine told me about this series that he enjoyed Toshokan Sensō (Library wars) and it is really neat. Basic plot, in the future the government begins destroying books (I know what you are thinking this plot has been done a million times and it has but some incarnations are better than others) and librarians take it upon themselves to fight back by basically becoming elite military forces complete with fatigues and fully automatic weapons. This concept hits home because my mother was a librarian and my ex-girlfriend was one as well. I can see my mother supporting the idea but I can see my ex picking up a gun and saying that no government bastard is going to take the Kage Baker series from me! any ways it is a good series that I would recommend watching.

No comments: