Sunday, March 1, 2009

Snow?

If you ever come to Birmingham and talk to people, about snow, who are above the age of twenty, that have lived here their entire life, about eighty percent of them will begin recounting the "Winter Storm of 1993" where 13 inches accumulated for about five days and brought this city to a stand still. Needless to say we do not get much snow here, but when we do every one freaks out. For the last few days I have heard of this cold front that is bringing snow to Birmingham. I am usually skeptical of winter weather advisory but apparently they were right this time. I woke up this morning to my boss calling me ... unfortunately I can only assume that he had the phone in his pocket and accidentally called me an hour before my alarm went off. Any how, in my groggy daze I looked out of the window and was blinded by the reflection off of snow that had covered every where. It really is a beautiful sight if you are not use to it. Still sleepy I went back to bed until my alarm went off. After explaining why I could not stay home just because it was snowing to my girlfriend, I got ready for work and walked on out side to my truck. By that time the snow was melted off of the roads so I had no difficulty going in to work. It continued snowing for hours until about noon when it stopped. The sun came out, the temperature increased, and by 1:30 you could not even tell that it had snowed. Yesterday we had probably 1700 visitors to our mu seam, and that has been standard for the last few weekends, but today due to the snow, I bet we only had 150 visitors all day. People here are so afraid of the snow that they postponed all plans for some thing that was gone by 1:30 and we don't close until 6:00. It really is amusing to watch people react to life. I really do hope that I get to go to Sapporo and experience snow enough to get tired of it.

This is the snow at around 10:30

And this is a picture at 1:30... man I wish it had stayed longer.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Snow in B'ham....remember the igloo?

THAT was a snow!!