Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Person. Part one.

As of now I have finished the first major step to getting in to the Jet program. Last Saturday on the 13th of December I graduated from the University of Alabama at Birmingham or UAB. I have spent the last seven years working towards a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree focusing in Sculpture. Some people ask me why it took so long. My general response is because I wanted to enjoy college. There are several other reasons though. First is because a BFA degree is an advanced degree that usually takes an extra year to complete. Second is that I have a wide variety of interests and when a class popped up that looked interesting I took it. I don't regret the time it took to complete my degree. Actually I think that I am one of the few people that squeezed everything that I could out of college and in doing so I have made many valuable friends, contacts, and I have learned lessons that can only come with experience.

So what did I make as an art student? Because I did not know much about art when I began taking classes I started off with the basics and took many of the intro classes. At first I became interested in printmaking but after a few classes I was bored of it. Then I became interested in ceramic sculpture. This seemed to be a natural progression, I have always been drawn towards 3-D thinking and was never very good at abstracting into a 2-D format. I took enough ceramic classes to make it my concentration in school but became bored with it so I moved on to regular sculpture. After taking one semester of it I felt slightly more drawn to it than I was ceramic but not overly so. It was not until I decided that I needed a chair for my apartment and did not have the money to buy one that I found where my place was in school.

I set to work one night and made an incredibly cool but very uncomfortable chair, the response was unbelievable. One of the beauties of art is that no one expects it to be functional and the idea of it being interactive was a hit in my department. I set to work making one piece of furniture after another changing the design to become more functional with every piece. Below are a few of my works and as time allows I will make more in preparation for a show in April that I need to get ready for.

No comments: